what about - Page 3 - Jeep Forum - Forums and Owners Club
Jeep Forum - Forums and Owners Club

Go Back   Jeep Forum - Forums and Owners Club > Jeep Forum - News Desk > Jeep Forum Polls!
Notices

View Poll Results: what about a diesel jeep?
yes 19 86.36%
no 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Cowboy From Hell

Model and Year: 2014 JKU Rubicon
Color: White
AZOTH99 has a spectacular aura aboutAZOTH99 has a spectacular aura about

Looks like win win all around from what our current 3.8L is? If I'm not mistaken if it's a Diesel motor you don't have to conform to all the same smog laws as a regular gas. When I was stationed in california 10 years ago I though I had to do all kinds of stuff to my 5.7L diesel chevy and I didn't have to do anything because it was diesel? have things changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkalator View Post
Here is a cummins option. Dont think you could meet regs with it but it would be cool for a strickly off road jeep. There is a straight-4 cylinder Cummins B diesel engine that comes in 3.3L and 3.9L sizes. you could potentialy see 30mpg and 170hp and 400+ ftlbs of torque in a jeep. If I could find one of these and could come up with the funds I would drop this in mine if i could keep it smog legal.

SOLD!! CJ7 = 350 SBC, Turbo 350 trans, pushing 33's, 300 transfer case, Dana 44's front and rear, lots of fender trimming.

07 Charger Superbee #692
2002 BMC Hooligan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Jeep Forum Member

Model and Year: tj 2000
Color: black
perkalator will become famous soon enough

I guess its not as bad as I thought. Thanks for planting the bug and making me research a little. This is from California

Diesel Smog Check - Effective 01/01/2010: All Diesel vehicles, cars and trucks 1998 and newer, and weighing under 14,500 GVW will need a diesel smog check. All California certified smog check stations can perfrom the Diesel Smog Check. The diesel smog test will not include the emissions test portion of the regular inspection. There will be no tailpipe emissions inspection or smog test. Dynamometer testing will not be part of the diesel smog check inspection.

Your vehicle will not be driven on the dynamometer during the diesel smog check. Instead the diesel smog test will focus on a visual inspection of your vehicle's emissions/smog components, a system check of the On Board Diagnostics (OBD II) system, a visual smoke check for excessive black (carbon) smoke, and an EVAP functional test. Diesel cars and trucks which fail the diesel smog test will have to get their vehicles repaired at a diesel vehicle repair shop before retesting.
Diesel smog inspections are required during a diesel vehicle's initial registration in California and once, every two years, thereafter. The diesel smog check cycle will continue for as long as the vehicle is registered in this State.
The Diesel smog test program applies to 1976 and newer passenger vehicles and trucks powered singly or in combination by:
  • Gasoline
  • Propane
  • Natural gas
  • Diesel
  • Methanol / Ethanol fuels
Smog inspections are also required anytime a diesel vehicle is sold or bought in California. During a title transfer the Department of Motor Vehicles will not allow a vehicle to be registered unless it is presented with a valid smog certificate. There are special testing procedures for vehicles, which are classified as "Gross Polluters". These include Test Only and State Referee inspections.
Diesel Smog Test Exemption: Exempt from the State of California Diesel Smog Check program are:
  • Diesel cars & trucks (1997 & older)
  • Diesel trucks (over 14,500 GVW)
Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Jeep Forum Member

Heres one installed

Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Jeep Forum Member

Model and Year: wrangler jk 2010
Color: flame red
ricksjeep10 is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like diesels. Don't like the way they sound and I have enough trouble keeping up with changes to gas engines, let alone learning how to troubleshoot/fix a diesel. Getting too old I guess.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Cowboy From Hell

Well Rick I was not a believer till I owned a Diesel. They last 2-3 times as long, and have less issues, sure they can be very costly to repair but are worth it. The rest of the world out there agree's with the diesel motor being prefered over gas. Most of the time people from other coutries won't buy a car if it's gas. Just something to think about.

SOLD!! CJ7 = 350 SBC, Turbo 350 trans, pushing 33's, 300 transfer case, Dana 44's front and rear, lots of fender trimming.

07 Charger Superbee #692
2002 BMC Hooligan
Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Jeep Forum Newcomer

Model and Year: 2002 Liberty
Color: Red
KJWildman is on a distinguished road
Default Diesel

Got this message from a friend that works at the Toledo Jeep plant last Thursday!!!

"Psssssst........

First pentastar engine pilot wrangler is rolling off the line right now....."

SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a test mule/pilot vehicle right now...... but's it's coming!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Jeep Forum Junior Member

samsquanch is on a distinguished road

Funny to walk into this discussion. Recently I have been researching the use of a Cummins 4BT in my 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Come up with a lot of good info, unfortunately for you in the smog controlled areas, the 4BT hasn't be made since 1999. Fortunately for me, no smog checks here! There are tons of 4BT swapped TJs, YJs and XJs on youtube and there is actually a company that makes the bell housings and motor mounts to make this a reality, http://www.jeffdanielsjeeps.com. I would love to be able to run some 35" tires and pull 25+ mpg! This would not be a swap for the person looking for a nice quiet ride, the 4BT is noisy and rattles like a spray bomb. Should be relatively easy to make work, only 1 wire to make it run, but the accessory loss like traction control, stability control etc is unknown at this time with the JK platform. But dayum, the sound and torque of a turbo diesel winding up while climbing a hill would make up for that IMO! Just to wet your whistle here is what I have been watching for the last few days... droooooool!

http://www.youtube.com/user/rrbgtt#p/a/u/1/CU7QbDZ1moQ
Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Cowboy From Hell

hmm.... I need to pick up an old jeep for project sometime and throw that motor in there. I really like the sound of diesel.

From what I remember from my Diesel truck I had, Diesel vehicles didn't have to comply with smog like regular gas vehicles do. That was also over 10 years ago though too.

07 Charger Superbee #692
2002 BMC Hooligan
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Jeep Forum Member

3.9ISB cummins is also a newer engine for people with later models. I am still trying to find what years this one was produced. it supposed to be quiter than it predecessor the 4bt. But with a diesel who cares about the noise.
Advertisement