First Jeep, 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Willys - Jeep Forum - Forums and Owners Club
Jeep Forum - Forums and Owners Club

Go Back   Jeep Forum - Forums and Owners Club > Jeep Forum - News Desk > Newbie Check In!

Notices

Old 06-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Jeep Forum Newcomer

Model and Year: 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Color: Black
milburnr is on a distinguished road
Default First Jeep, 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Willys

I've had the Jeep about 4 days, it already has over 1000 miles on it, and the top is on the floor of the garage. It was supposed to be hanging from the ceiling but balancing it level, and figuring out how to suspend it, is less straightforward than I'd thought at first!

So things I'm NOT looking for:
how to lift it and what tires I can run! I'm ok with the current setup for now...

What things I AM searching for (so feel free to reply with links or ideas, while I search on my own...):

- ideas on hanging the hard top from the garage ceiling (I have a 12 or so foot ceiling)

- ideas on door storage

- ideas for how people secure things they keep in the back

- ideas on what soft top(s) I should get, Colorado has rain showers pretty much every afternoon so it's almost guaranteed I will get rained on every day if I'm out. And I sunburn easily so I probably don't want to drive around all day every day I'm out with nothing above me...

- I know I'll want a winch because... it's a winch. I'll figure out things to do with it!! . So I will need a bumper. There are lots of styles to choose from, and I'm not sure what they're for. I don't really want to spend a fortune (yet) and I'm leasing so I don't want to do anything that's not bolt on.

- I almost bought a Rubicon Recon, in part because the red trim details inside looked awesome. Who has things like colored cargo nets and other trim pieces?

- BUGS! Driving on the highway any distance I get TONS of bugs. I just Rain-X'd it but seriously, what a pain? What do people do either to prevent this, make it easier to clean, or etc? And while we're at it... they stick to the lights, and the grill too. Yes, that special gloss painted Willys grill.

- Is a jack a good idea to get if I'm not rock crawling? How do you decide where to put it? Depends on your bumper mod?

- The Recon had the Power Vent Hood which looked great. It's something I might want to get. Thoughts?

- How are the Rubicon tires on snow? I looked at some snow above timberline and decided not to try it because I didn't want to get stuck in the snow with no service and miles from anyone. The snow was between 6" and "knee deep" a running passerby said. It was that afternoon slushy stuff. I decided not to try it more than about 20 feet. I don't have lockers so I'm afraid I might get stuck...

- Without the top on, clearly people can just reach in the back and take the 500 essential items some of the lists say to bring with you on a drive. Besides that, I'm not sure how all that stuff would even fit even though I have an Unlimited. So... do people really pack all that crap? I have seen everything from safety kits to spare alternators and axles...

Again, I'll be looking for all this but if you want to help me out I'd appreciate it!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Model and Year: 2015
Color: wht
dk1677 has a spectacular aura aboutdk1677 has a spectacular aura aboutdk1677 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Model and Year: 09 Challenger R/T ~ 05 4x4 Ram
Color: Torred ~ Red
jkelly16 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the Z from NC! Glad you joined, enjoy the site!
Click for ForumZ How To's
Want to become a Site Supporter? Click Here!

Old 06-08-2017, 02:52 AM
"Old Jarhead"

Model and Year: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
Color: Velvet Red Pearl
w6pea is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard. How about posting a photo or two of that thar' new ride some can all drool
Again welcome to the Jeep Forumz. Happy Trails.